Detailed Veteran Freelance Editor / Copy Editor / Proofreader Extraordinaire, with 22 years of freelance & professional experience in publishing industry
Rate Per Page
Rate Per Word
Rate Per Hour
NOTE: these rates are not set in stone and are only an average for this editor. The actual rate applicable to your document will depend on the depth of the edit, the quality of the writing, the topic matter, the proximity of the deadline, the length of the document and several other factors.
Present Occupation: Freelance Copy Editor/Proofreader
Editing Experience in Years: 23
Following is my FREELANCE EXPERIENCE AS A COPY EDITOR/PROOFREADER/MANUSCRIPT/BOOK EDITOR with my company, named Expressive Editing.
(My role is in parentheses.)
- XAHIVE Inc., Cybersecurity company, Ottawa, ON Communications Officer, July 2016 to Present
• Edit various texts for cybersecurity company.
•Edited entire website.
•Edited Cybersecurity Manual for Financial Institutions.
- eScribers (U.S transcription company), May 2017 to Present: Editing/proofreading various court transcripts.
- Ottawa Sport & Social Club, March 2017 to April 2017: Edited, developed & designed print and online campaign for “Sprummer” registration.
- Ayn MacDonald, Royal LePage Team Realty, February 2017 to Present
• Editing feature sheets and letters to clients.
- Ottawa Business Journal, June 2016 to December 2016 • Edited articles for the OBJ, using Google Docs.
- Greg O’Donnell, Plant Your Flag Commercial Real Estate Services, 2014 to Present
• Provide ongoing web and print editing & proofreading services.
• Provide desktop publishing services for eBooks: format eBooks in Excel, edit & proofread all content.
• Provided transcription/transcribing/typing services, using MS Word, ExpressScribe and InqScribe.
• Provide administrative duties, which includes online research and sending emails, using MS Office.
- ZenContent April 2016 to March 2017
• Edited & revised content within a digital platform.
-Toscano/Walker Team RE/MAX, June 2016 to October 2016 & May 2017
•Edited & wrote texts for online & print, and created newsletter, in MS Word
•Redesigned presentation in InDesign.
• Updated website HTML coding.
• Edited second presentation and updated first presentation in InDesign.
- *Confidential* NY author, November 2016 to February 2017: Edited writer's non-fiction manuscript.
- The Edge Taekwon-Do Academy, August 2016 to September 2016: Edited instructor manual in MS Word, as well as edited email templates on GoDaddy email platform.
- SketchDeck, February 2016 to December 2016: Edited clients' graphical presentations and other texts to ensure accuracy and clarity, all using InDesign, Illustrator, PowerPoint and Keynote.
- *Confidential* author, September 2015-December 2015: Edited Toronto writer�s translated (from French) fiction manuscript.
� Viridis Consultants, June 2015: Edited Australian technical & scientific water-quality report.
� Sherpa Press, December 2012-Jan. 2015 (via oDesk.com): Edited fiction manuscripts in MS Word
> Sherpa Press (San Diego), CLIENT, December 2012-present (via oDesk.com):
-- Edit fiction manuscripts in MS Word
-- Lay out book pages in InDesign
-- Assist in book-jacket design.
> Lyubomyr Ostapiv (Ukraine) (Editor), July 2013-present (via oDesk.com): Editing manuscript on home finances.
> Roger Carrier (author) (Editor), March 2013-present: Proofreading fiction manuscript.
> Cerami Worldwide, CLIENT, September 2012-present (via oDesk.com): Providing ongoing proofreading/editorial/comparative editorial services for projects, such as manuscripts, white papers and ad & product-packaging copy.
> *Confidential* author (Editor), February 2013-June 2013: Edited 233-page fiction manuscript in MS Word.
> Legal Outreach Inc. (Graphic Designer & Editor), January 2013-May 2013: Designed & edited marketing collateral for four curricula.
> *Confidential* author (Editor), January 2013-May 2013 (via EditFast.com): Edited fiction manuscript in MS Word.
> Nicholas Bergman (author) in New York City (Manuscript Editor), Dec 2012 - February 2013: Copy edit/proofread manuscript
> ProjectCap Marketing (Article Editor), Nov. 2012 - January 2013: Edited existing articles to meet client's style guidelines and quality standards.
> Cerami Worldwide (Editor/Proofreader), Sept. 2012 - Present
-- Provide ongoing proofreading/editorial services for projects, ranging from manuscripts and white papers through proposal and ad copy.
> Golden Child Publishing (Editor), Sept. 2012 - Jan. 2013: Copy edited and proofread articles for holistic health blog; contract ended because they ran out of work for me.
> Automotive Quality Solutions/Jon Molesky, President (Freelance Proofreader), April 2012-May 2013: Copy edited and proofread U.S. automotive industry recruiter's email correspondence, web articles, newsletter text, etc.
> University student (Freelance Copy Editor), April 2012: Copy edited, proofread and format as necessary a first-year university student's final report on Internet Addictions (in MLA style).
> Latt� Marketing (Guam) (Freelance Proofreader/Copy Editor), April-June 2012
- Proofread 86-page eBook on Personal Finance.
- Separate all 16 chapters into their own modules.
> Air Conditioned (Freelance Proofreader/Proofreader Extraordinaire), April-May 2012: Copy edit and proofread as necessary 500-2000-word articles on a variety of topics, with 1-to-2-day turnaround.
> Viridis Consultants (Australia) (Freelance Proofreader/Copy Editor), March-April 2012: Proofread technical reports and charts about water quality in certain areas in Australia.
> MA Housing Solutions (Freelance Graphic Designer), Feb 2012: Redesigned both sides of an advertising postcard for MA Housing Solutions.
> Ottawa Police Service (Freelance Copy Editor/Proofreader), Feb-March 2012: Copy edited & formatted 22-page 2011 Annual Report (posted online now).
> Red Mobile, Dec 2011 (via oDesk.com): Substantially edited & formatted 200-page study of radio spectrum; included charts, tables & appendices.
> WagJag.com/Metroland Media (Freelance Copy Editor & Graphic Designer), Oct. 2011-March 2012: Create innovative & eye-catching marketing materials and media kit; Designed template for promotional print ad.
> Canadian Pharmacists Association (Freelance Copy Editor), Oct. 2011: Copy edited and formatted a 20-page internal document for the Canadian Pharmacists Association.
> Demand Media Studios (Freelance Copy Editor), Aug. 2010-May 2011
- Independently copy edited various types of articles, under daily deadlines, in an electronic environment.
- Edited for grammar, punctuation, spelling, facts, style, plus checked writers' references and resources.
- Approved articles with or without a rewrite, depending on quality of writing.
- Rejected articles if writer did not fulfill rewrite request correctly.
> Rogers Media (Freelance Copy Editor & Graphic Designer), May 2008-Nov. 2010
- Copy edited and created innovative & informative marketing collateral materials, which included one-sheet email promotions & media kits.
Following is my FREELANCE EXPERIENCE AS A GRAPHIC DESIGNER with my company, called Expressive Designs; September 2006-Present.
> WagJag.com, October 2011 & March 2012: Create innovative & eye-catching marketing materials (media kit).
> Rogers Media, May 2008-November 2010: Created innovative marketing collateral materials, including one-sheet email promotions & media kits.
> Giant Carpet & Flooring, November-February 2010: Designed & copy edited retailer's print advertisements, published in several area newspapers.
> Canadian Automobile Association (CAA), Oct. 2006-Dec. 2009: Designed print ad campaign in 4 area newspapers, 3-sided Ottawa bus wrap, other print ads.
> Ottawa's Best SuperSaver, Aug.-Nov. 2009: Designed magazine's clients' ads.
> Perkins Restaurant & Bakery, June & Nov. 2009: Designed restaurant chain's table tent cards.
> Sparks Street Mall, Feb. 2009-Sept. 2009: Designed small outdoor lamppost banners.
> Prime Choice Auto Parts, May 2009: Designed company flyer.
> Cash For Gold Canada, March 2009: Created official company logo.
> Expressive Designs, November 2008: Designed both sides of business cards.
> Expressive Designs, October 2008: Designed every single page of my own website (ExpressiveDesigns.ca) in Adobe Photoshop.
> Realtor Bernice Bartlett, July-Aug. 2007: Redesigned website for relaunch.
> UrbanArts Alliance UrbainArts, Feb.-Oct. 2007: Created official company logo.
> BluArc Communications, Oct.-Nov. 2006: Created one-sheet for front of trade-show booth.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE (1995-2008)
Metro Ottawa, Newspaper, Ottawa, ON
Graphics & Production Manager, August 2005-November 2008
� Copy editing enhanced every single ad�s overall impact, as well as clarified its meaning.
� Compiled & copy edited listing page(s); also designed entire special sections, complete with ads and editorial.
� Copy edited and created marketing materials, such as sellsheets, media kits, promotional ads, newspaper-box slash cards.
� Creatively built & copy edited ads on speculation or built booked ads from materials/ideas given by clients.
� Designed innovative ads in Adobe CS, CS2 or QuarkXPress under daily deadlines.
� Managed & organized entire Graphics & Production Department myself.
Cuative & Company Publishing, Magazine Publisher, Ottawa, ON
Art Director/Graphic Designer, Part-time, June 2005-September 2005
� Assisted in creation, production & copy editing of The Socialite, a new publication.
Nepean This Week, Newspaper, Ottawa, ON
Creative Ad Builder, Part-time, June 2005-November 2005
� Copy edited each & every ad for clarity, which were created/modified in QuarkXPress, Photoshop or Illustrator.
Metro Toronto, Newspaper, Toronto, ON
Design Editor/Copy Editor of Entertainment/Lifestyle section, February 2002-June 2005
� Copy edited sports, features, news and business pages for CP style, errors and libel.
� Copy edited Your Money and Moving Up and other monthly special sections/features.
� Contributed to design & copy editing of Fashion, Mind & Body and Home Fashion sections.
� Assisted in posting articles to Metro�s CMS for website, which included ensuring each stories� accuracy and clarity.
InvestmentNews, Business Newspaper, New York, NY
Copy editor/Page Designer, November 2000-January 2002
� Copy edited 99% of newspaper�s copy for style, grammar, punctuation and libel.
� Responsible for Markets pages, gathered fund information from Lipper Inc., then formatted to InvestmentNews style.
Orlando Sentinel, Newspaper, Orlando, FL
Layout Editor/Copy Editor, August 1997-November 2000
� Copy edited sports, news and features copy for style, grammar, punctuation and libel for all five editions.
� Checked for section accuracy while press was rolling and made corrections and/or substitutions.
The Fort Pierce/Port St. Lucie Tribune, Newspaper, Fort Pierce, FL
Page Designer/Copy Editor, December 1995-July 1997
� Copy edited front page, other fronts & inside pages of seven other sections.
� Compiled and copy edited copy for TV Tribune, the newspaper�s weekly television book, which was placed with the newspaper every Sunday.
** Paramount Pictures Corporation, Production Distribution office, New York, NY
Exhibitor Services Assistant, June 1993-August 1993
� Performed general office duties: answering telephones, sending faxes, filing, typing memoranda, taking meeting minutes, etc.
� Worked with Microsoft Office Suite
� Responsible for ensuring the local theatre chains (AMC, United Artists, Loews and General Cinema) received the correct movie-display paraphernalia (posters, standees) in a timely manner.